The Occasional Cloud

Hello, Sunshine folk!

This blog has seen a few rebrands over the years... It began as Lady in Pearls, a witty commentary on girlhood and its trials.

Then, as I shed my girlish skin and came into young adulthood, it grew with me. My twenties saw me wrestling with depression, loneliness, and uncertainty about who I was gonna be. A Little Bit of Sunshine was birthed from those questions. I sought to create a space in which I could escape.

The girl who had shoved her blog in the faces of her exasperated friends, suddenly withdrew... My prose had abandoned its clever, showy delivery in exchange for raw vulnerability. Not something I wanted the world to see. 

Then there was the Toni Morrison phase – in which I became obsessed with the turn of phrase. I wrote about places I've never been and loves I've never had. If my world was limited, I could always fill it on paper like a map. I think back on this period fondly; some of my most creative and celebrated words were birthed then. 

But alas, one cannot find one's voice by trying them all on like hats.

Now... my words have settled into something more assured. Not perfect, but purposeful and true. That's what this space represents for me, freedom to express my mind, my inner world without fuss or frill. While I haven't a clue who is reading these words, my hope is that they speak to you. Offer you perspective or inspiration, or simply the joy of shared connection.

I still kept the title A Little Bit of Sunshine. I suppose it just stuck with me, and it's hard to imagine it as anything else Who knows? I may change it someday.

But the reason for this post is about a different blog altogether. In 2022, I created a sister-blog called The Occasional Cloud, not entirely sure what it would be about. Anger? Bitterness? The things I am afraid to name?

This year I have restored it, simply as a possibility. To have the option to experiment with different formats, or topics different from my usual niche or style. Or can it be more of a journal, where I keep the posts shorter and more personal.

If you've enjoyed reading this blog as much as I've enjoyed writing it, be sure to pay The Occasional Cloud a visit.


Comments