Baggage Claim


On the third seat in a bus to New Orleans

I looked about me, made sure no one was watching

And there on the window seat, I left my dream

in an old shoe box I'd carefully packed 

It took a while, but eventually I fit everything

A rhinestone tiara, crumpled love letters addressed to a love I can never have 

pretty shells I collected from the sea

Every book I've ever read, every line of poetry I'd written in the throes of agony

A single pearl on gold string and a button dress in the loveliest shade of blue you've ever seen

I didn't cry as I stepped out in the city

My heart was light and no longer heavy

(never mind that it was empty)

Oh for once, for once I was free. 

And that's when I saw you. 

Heart tender like a newborn shoot

In your hand an empty box

Carefully sewn, beautifully made, clutched to your chest

In your eyes a softness untainted yet

Suddenly, all too clearly, I knew what to do

I turned on my heels and sped through the city streets

I chased after my dream

That I left behind on the third aisle 

on the window seat

On a bus to New Orleans 

Comments