Yet Here We Are


"It's as though all my dreams got together one night and gave birth to something new..." 



I envisioned it, you know.

Heard it humming in the distance 

That I would change the world 

Crowds, lots of them... hanging on my words

We'd hold hands, helping the other to stand
 
Just like I imagined. 

Except 

Their hands are smaller than I expect

I have to crouch to meet their eyes

The stage of my dreams is a stuffy classroom

My mic a broken piece of chalk. 

But we talk, 
we deliberate and I leave 

somewhat wiser somewhat clean

They too are teaching me 

How to love, how to eat, how to give 

Oh how they give. 

Because of them I have learned 

the value of a patient word

a sweet note, a thoughtful gesture 

a lollipop gifted without explanation 

a well-timed joke

I hoped to change the world... But this is my world as it stands 

Someday it might grow beyond

these old brick walls and cross borders and oceans

But for now, we dance. 

Comments