Reflection

"I hadn't 
even known 
it was lost, 
until I discovered 
it again..."


The steady flow of creativity is still a mystery to me. Sometimes a tsunami wave washing over me, other days but a small sip in a paper cup.

Still the words, they come. They always come. I'm never comfortable until they do, always certain that I've just been lucky all along. It may take a day or two, it may stretch a few weeks but they come to me. I realized they're always there, waiting for me (and they always will be).

What a precious thing! It was never lost, I was. That bleak year of 2019 in which I couldn't write. Of course I could, maybe in ways I didn't recognize. But we're here now, somewhat wise. Wiser?

Here are my most significant writings :
(of the year)

1. To Whom it May Concern - June 24th

I consider this piece the trajectory that started it all (again)...because isn't that it? A cycle of planting and reaping and planting anew. I learned no longer to crave the crops of old...I gave up and gave in to whatever this season would bring. I softened, gave myself much needed grace. 

2. Fool Circle - June 27th

When I look across my body of work, I find in every piece a trace of the same seed. As if they were all part of one long, giant poem, yet incomplete. These words are at the heart of everything.

3. Imaginary Pen Pal - August 19th

Last year I got to reconcile with my writing, not only as a survival tool. But a creative outlet, a skill I could yield with a breath. This is a beautiful piece of which I am truly proud. Also read Part 2

4. Star In The Tribe - October 23

It has the titular name of my blog, as it embodies all that drives me. That you don't have to be in the sky to shine, you can do it right here on the ground. And should I write a book this is what it would be called.

5. An Apology Letter To My Hair - October 9th

It's amazing to me how much identity was locked in a single strand of my hair. I did not realize it mattered so much, or how much pain I was carrying upon my head. I found relief the day I cut it all, and healing everyday it grew. There's an ease in my step in my skin there never was before.

6. Send Me A Letter - August 27th

Letters to me have always been a kind of currency. My heart has quickened and sang in languages I never knew, writing letters to you (receiving them too). 

Comments