Date Night

My first date:

I swirl my drink between my teeth

It's a long time before anyone speaks

We have the place to ourselves, like we've entered a mystical land

There's a tingle in the air

The zipping of a pocket closed

It is the act of moment solidified into memory, 

a souvenir I will always keep with me

Our thoughts float around us like

Tangible echoes

Our love, unspoken

But felt, down to my bones

Though my feet are too short 

to reach the floor

they ground me in this place. 

Though my hands are too small 

to hold the burger right (I stand for every bite) 

they cling, oh they cling, to this keepsake

And though my drink is actually milkshake

The buzz in the air, it intoxicates. 

Your first words of the night, I forget

But the very last you said:

"My daughter, Happy Birthday" 





Comments