What I've Been Up To

Depends on who you ask, my bank account would say nothing

My journal would say everything

It feels like I've traveled back and forth between emotions and logic and rebellion

Just to look down at my feet and find I'm still rooted in place. 

I am overcoming challenges and facing my 

fears, scaling mountains and returning forever changed. 

Only to return and realize I still look the same in my Tshirt and jeans

I am tired, with nothing to show for it

Thus, is the life of a poet.

And that right there, I can't help it. 

My every conversation and prayer and thought is sprinkled with rhyme and metaphor without my intending it.

I'm like a can bubbling over without a lid. 

And constantly I am filled, like I'm due to burst any moment

Birth some achievement or so is my hope

Mostly, I just float day to day.

I try to be good, do enough to pass inspection

And I try to feel, feel good.

I don't sit in one place for too long

I linger on an amazing song

And I talk to God.

Sometimes I yell, sometimes I sob.

Hey God, how goes it? 

Hey God, guess what? 

Hey God, how could you? 

Then I turn the page, feeling new and clean

At least for the time being. 



Comments