Ode To My Left Boob

I've taken too many elbows to the chest

And received a stuttered sorry in return...

until they turned around and saw me, 

eyes almost dimming in relief 

As if to say, oh it's you that takes too much space

I found myself muttering in apology, arms folding in on me

Not to protect myself, but everyone else

from this scandalous sight. 

How silly of me

To believe that what grew out of my body of its own accord, could ever be inappropriate

That my existence was by default, explicit 

As though I was born with an R rating on my face

Always tugging at my skirt
and adjusting my shirt

Why don't they adjust their gaze? 

I suppose it can't be helped, one way or another

I am after all, a miraculous wonder

The beauty of daybreak 

with the grace of nightfall 

I don't mind your looking at all. 

But herein lies your mistake:

I am not for the looking. 

My body is a machine with its own programme and priorities... 

a biological system running on food, water and air

Very last on the list, is fulfilling your wishes.








Comments