Forecast: chilling breeze


"Your words are so refreshing", she's saying to me. 

Refreshing? 

It takes me a minute to sink in before

I whisper, "It's funny, they never leave that way" 

Instead they storm off in a huff

Of tears and dust

slamming the door off of its hinges. 

Or wander away, 

dazed and confused 

with nowhere else to go. 

But I see they've found a home in you. 

These aren't the words I kissed goodbye, 

sent packing in the night. 

Somewhere in their fearful journey, 

across mountain and valley 

They were washed clean. 

And arrived in your hands

fresh and safe to drink. 

It is a wonder they made it all this way, 

a kind of relief 

Knowing there are traces of me

uncaged, uninhibited... 

Soaring, flying free. 

Infinite in the ways I am limited,

to dream, to reach, to seek. 



Comments

  1. Lucky to have your words landing in the right hands and knowing it makes a difference. Good poem

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you've got me wondering about my words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful written piece that carries so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good that your words have made an appreciative landing

    Happy you dropped by my blog

    Much💖love

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its always a powerful moment when we realize the words we've put down performed some strange but powerful alchemy in another person's heart. I mean yes, we definitely need to express the words that our close to our hearts for our own sakes (and sanity). But it's great feeling to see what else those words can do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. words can be so troublesome. or such great friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poems are like paintings ... observers may draw varied concludions, each enjoying but taking a different message.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the perspective of this poem.. i've had the exact same feeling about things i say and never even thought to examine it like this. you have a keen eye, and keen pen, well done

    ReplyDelete
  9. Something that is inspirational and joyous always rings more true if we sense that there is some suffering behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The power of words lightly said and the power they have to cause joy or anger... never ceases to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really love the contrast between the leaving and the reception. Isn't it wonderful how what we birth changes and grows when we share it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Most of my words have the opposite affect, as in I've sent them off in sincerity and they arrive in a package of anger, hatred, contempt... etc.
    I may need lessons someday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Words and the messages they convey ... I wonder how many stop before speaking, giving thought to what the recipient will hear. A beautifully penned poem.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "But I see they've found a home in you." Kindred spirits maybe

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment