Why I Write My Prayers Down

My mother taught us when we were little, 
this is how you pray:
Hands together, eyes closed
Knees bowed and head low. 
I often squirmed, as little girls are prone, 
ran out of words to say and called it a day.
But lately I've been praying with my eyes wide open 
Phone in my hand and snack in the other. 
He took me by the hand once, 
lead me to the window... 
"What do you see?" 


How beautiful is the world you've made
The critters and the dirt
Even the rain
Surely a God that can do all this, create such beauty
With mere word from His lips
Surely He can do a great work in me
Surely I am blind and yet to see
What He has in his mind for me
The wind and the birds, they whisper, call out to me
Trying to rouse me out of sleep
Surely my honor will be greater than the trees 
Who dance and delight in the breeze
Their branches hang low with bounteous fruit
They are well-watered from the root. 
Surely their gardener will not me uproot
Surely He will plant me in truth
Keep me away from the soil of lies
in which all things die
The sun looks on from the sky
And bows to the Most high
Surely He is ruler of the sand and ever-shifting tide
Rise, oh little one, fickle and frail
He's placed on you a crown of gold and of Victory
Surely He has dressed you in His splendor
In robes of glory and light
With Him by your side
You can never fail. 


Bowing, you see... 
had nothing to do with my knees. 
But being, all He called me to be. 
Just the way the trees 
sway their leaves in praise 
And the birds sing a cheerful hymn 
How the salt water fish swim, 
not as chore
But first thought. 
Thus, head low...bowing with my pen
I whisper Amen. 




Comments

  1. Surely God is pleased that someone is writing down prayers with such sincerity. Beautiful 🥰.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment