Fear Less


courage

/ˈkʌrɪdʒ/
noun
  1. the ability to do something that frightens one; bravery.
    "she called on all her courage to face the ordeal"
    • strength in the face of pain or grief.
      "he fought his illness with great courage"



The word of the day is courage 

And let me tell you I hate this word.

Courage, you see
is much too heavy

Who'd have thought seven little letters could weigh so much?

Most days, all I manage to carry is - rage 

I've simply no pockets left for courage

Frankly, it takes too much room

Of courage, there never seems to be enough 

And on the rare occasion it fills my cup, 

by morning it's all used up. 

It isn't the courage to rise, or that to live
or that to breathe or that to dream
which hinders me. 

It's courage again
and courage once more. 

It’s courage afresh
and courage anew.

Yesterday's batch just won't do. 

And I'm so very close to letting go, giving in to fear
To fall into despair. 

Then comes a persistent voice, kind yet firm. Saying, "you don't have to carry it alone" 

and I'm reminded that someone somewhere is always listening.

There are people, distant and close
cheering me on, offering me an arm. 

Wishing me safe passage across this space. 

We are all so afraid 

Short of the wind in our sails

Alone we are a mere breath, 
together a forceful gale. 

We are not yet courageous
But we carry the recipe in our bones:

Courage is birthed in the heart of fear. 

I am closest to brave
when I am afraid. 


Comments