A Timeless Tail


When I am embittered by the ills that be…

I fasten my boots, roll up my sleeves

And hike across forest and field

to see the pale fox run.

It is a day of endless journey,

Of vivid blues and deep greens

So beautiful they don’t seem real

But no such wonders delight me more

Than seeing the pale fox run.


It’s getting late

And shadows are gathering 

Some have faces and others growl

Still I wait. 

To see the pale fox run. 

There he is! 

A flash of silver and gold –

Beneath the setting sun. 

He hurtles across with devastating 

grace.


Oh what I’d give to taste 

The wind in his face. 

The freedom in his tail. 

It’s why I come here, 

Same time same place. 

We share no words, 

I and he. 

But ever so rarely

He looks back at me.  

I’d like to think in sympathy 

I’d like to think in invitation.


And then he disappears, 

A whisper of wind and tail. 

I’d like to think he returns for me.

That when he is embittered by the ills that be,

He runs across mountain and valley

To see the sad girl watch.


     

                 Happy Birthday, old friend 






Comments