Forecast : laundry day


No, that's not a metaphor for washing my troubles away
Though I wish it were that easy. 
Instead I'm washing clothes. Or truthfully, watching my mother do it. 
Like she did with her mother 
And her mother before her
Don't be mistaken, there's no poetry to it
It's grueling work. 
Bruised knuckles, aching back
Under the unforgiving sun. 
Lugging baskets of clothes to hang on the washing line. 
Still, as I watch the fluid movement of her hands.. 
The occasional flick of the wrist. 
I think, what a gift. 
There are no cameras to capture her technique, no ceremony or flowers.
I seldom hear the words I love you in my home
But every week at the foot of my bed
Lies a perfectly folded stack of clothes. 
And I think of my mom, resting her feet
after a day's work done. 
I whisper to myself, Close enough. 




Comments