Forecast: cloudy, threatening rain


There's a post I made somewhere below...a silly rant about Aladdin and 3 perfect wishes...

Um, try not to look it up. It'll only embarrass the both of us.

I never did find a magic lamp but my 22nd birthday is on the way and my wish is too tiny, too simple, too shameful to utter aloud.

What I want, what I want... The question is posed again and again. What kind of cake do you want?

Well... I want a small cake, exactly enough for everyone present, six candles alight in a dim room. Maybe it was whipped up at the last second or picked up at the store on the way home, maybe a wallet was held upside down...emptied in haste to cover the cost. Nothing can quite compete with the taste of being loved with all one had.

What do I want? 

What I want is not to be asked. 

What I want is hands covering my eyes, leading me to the door

"I'm sorry this is all I could afford"

It's so little but so much more 

than I could dare to ask for.

Maybe there's a kid somewhere 

with a lopsided cake 

his mother baked 

in the wee hours of the morning 

As he blows out his six candles 

In a dim room

his wish is simple 

A bigger cake with no rainbow sprinkles. 

Maybe red velvet or lemon meringue... 

whatever rolls off the tongue. 

There are no candles on my cake

But my wish is this 

A simple cake much like his. 


Comments